People are sick of me talking about processed food, so... I'll just blog about it.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The diet soda rundown.

I always thought diet soda was something that could be plausibly ingested, but I recently (mistakenly) took a look at the label on a can of Pepsi Max.

Honestly... I don't know what I was expecting. It's not like you look at Pepsi and see some semblance of a food product (I mean, even Sunny Delight could conceivably be an orange).

So, I decided to break it down, for my own edification. Thank you Wikipedia.

Carbonated water: Fair enough.
Caramel color: Synthetic food coloring derived from corn.
Phosphoric acid: Low-cost, mass produced chemical controversially linked to lower bone density.
Potassium benzoate: Deters mold and bacterial growth, commonly made by oxidizing tolulene- which, apparently carries the "typical smell of paint thinners". Nice.
Caffeine: You love it, I love it, but we probably shouldn't drink so much of it.
Natural flavor: Does anyone even know what this means? Ever?
Acesulfame potassium: An artificial sweetener and potential carcinogen.
Citric acid: Typically derived from corn, linked to the erosion of tooth enamel.
Calcium Disodium EDTA: Ironically, a way to decrease your chances of getting cancer (from the reaction between potassium benzoate and ascorbic acid which... well, gives you cancer).
Panax ginseng extract: This is random, and I really have no idea what it's doing in here. Probably the "Max" part of Pepsi Max.
Phenylketonurics: contains phenylalanine: Actually a warning label for people suffering from PKU, a metabolic disorder that makes it hard to process phenylalanine (an amino acid used in artificial sweeteners).

Why does it surprise me that diet soda is a nothing but a chemical nightmare? It shouldn't, because like I said before, what else could it possibly be? What surprises me less is the well-worn response from the die-hard consumer: "Whatever, everything gives you cancer these days."

Can't say that makes me any more excited to drink it.

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog. Really very nice blog.

    On the drink thing, a few years ago I largely abandoned soda and started drinking iced tea. After a while, homemade organic decaffeinated iced tea. Which gave me a nice warm feeling of doing _one_ thing right with my diet. Except that after a while I started shoveling rather a lot of sugar into it.

    And then I started drinking a whole lot of milk, and then I started dumping Hershey's syrup into it.

    My dietary improvements seem to go that way. Permanently eliminate one really bad habit, and then pick up another one.

    What was my point? I suppose that my point was to recommend homemade iced tea as a replacement for the soda, at least if you hide the sugar bowl.

    ReplyDelete